Thursday, September 22, 2011

What's the right rodent for me?

All my life I've wanted a small pet of my own, and I've finally decided to get one! I'm a senior in high school and the pet would be kept in my room. I've been doing heavy research for a few days but I'm still unsure. I'll sum up what I've learned and maybe you guys can help me out.



I considered a fish but it would really be more of a decoration than a pet. Reptiles and amphibians are just out of the question.



First off, I know I do not want a guinea pig or anything larger. They are more expensive, would take up too much room, require more food and bedding, and would live too long. No exotics for the same reasons.



I would love a female mouse but I'm afraid it would be too smelly. I like that they are the cheapest of all. My parents wouldn't put up with a smelly pet, even if it was in my room and even though we have two smelly dogs. I've heard they don't smell if you clean their cage every 2-3 days, but this sounds expensive.



Hamsters - They're very mellow and cute, which I like. Apparently they aren't as smelly as mice but have messier cages. But I've also heard they can be potty trained. I hear they tend to be biters. People complain about them being nocturnal, but can't you change this by lighting the cage at night and keeping it dark during the day for a few weeks?



Gerbils sound great because you don't have to clean their cage as often, they don't bite as much, and apparently they are the least smelly of all. But they are more active, and I would prefer a cuddly pet. I don't like how social they are, though; I would prefer to have ONE pet, not two. Is it okay to keep just one gerbil?



I have heard nothing but good things about rats. However, they do need more space than mice, gerbils, or hamsters, so that is a big downside for me. I haven't done much research on them because I don't like their bald tails, but after I post this question I will be doing some research.



On a final note, I absolutely, hands down, do NOT want a male rodent with giant testicles. I would definitely prefer a female rodent, but it seems pet stores prefer males. I would be concerned about buying a rodent that is pregnant, though.What%26039;s the right rodent for me?
Hello! I am also about to be a senior in high school this year. For the longest time I wanted a pet that I could take care of on my own and love. We already have two dogs, so another dog wasn't an option for me.



Growing up I've gone through so many pets: Hamsters, gerbils, mice, fish, birds and one ferret. I've found that hamsters, gerbils and mice are fun to have for a little while, but they get old real fast. They sleep most of the day and when they are awake I haven't really found that they have much personality. They don't really like to be held or cuddled with. In some cases, people get lucky where they end up with a very mellow hamster, mouse or gerbil who loves to be stroked and will just relax in your hand. But all the ones I've owned were never exactly man's best friend.



You're right about fish being more of a decoration. My last fish just died last week, as a matter of fact. And to be perfectly honest (and I know it sounds horrible) but we were just waiting for him to finally die. He began to take up space and no one was really interested in him after about two years.



Now, after weeks of visiting pet stores and doing research I found that the right pet for me was a rat. It's been about a month now since I bought two rats and I couldn't be happier with them. I know what you're saying about their tails. My boyfriend (and co-owner of our rats) hated their tails at first, but now he's over it because their personality by far makes up for any down side to them. They are extremely friendly and love to be scratched on the head. When I let them out for exercise they'll crawl up my shirt and sit on my shoulder sometimes too.

I have a small room but their cage fits in nicely. It's roughly three feet long and one foot seven inches tall. And I've seen them live in smaller cages than that. I clean their cage about once a month. The oder isn't bad at all untill about the week before you clean it.

Things you should know about rats though:

1. You definately shouldn't have just one rat. Over time they could grow lonely and even depressed. Though rats tend to absolutely adore their owners, no amount of attention from a human could replace the companionship of another rat.

2. I've read that rats can live from 1 to 3 three years. So it would be a commitment. Especially if you're planning on going to college directly after high school. It would be unfair to the animal to give it away after only a year of owning it.





Those were my only two issues before buying my rats, and I absolutely love them. They are so sweet and watching them run around my room wrestling with eachother is the funniest thing in the world.



I hope this helped :]

No comments:

Post a Comment